Getting to Undara
You can get to Undara by:
- Sealed Road: a half day scenic drive by car from Cairns or Townsville (with suggested self-drive itineraries).
Mr and Mrs Whittle visited Undara Experience in 2008 in their 1924 Model T Ford (Pictured) travelling all the way from Sydney. They travelled around Australia at an average speed of 60 – 65kms. What a unique way to see this country!
- Air: a spectacular scenic flight from Reef to Rainforest to Outback – Cairns to the Undara airstrip
- Rail: experience one of the world’s great rail tours on the Savannahlander
- Coach: a scenic coach tour from Cairns
Getting Here By Road
The road to Undara Experience is now fully sealed all the way to our doorstep! Happy driving!
Undara Experience is easily accessible by car, 4WD or campervan. We have a range of suggested self-drive itineraries.
All car and campervan rental companies allow their conventional vehicles to go to Undara, or have offered discounted rates on their 4WD hire vehicles. The road to Undara is now sealed the entire way from Cairns. Sections between Mt Garnet and 40 mile scrub National Park are narrow and drivers share the road with an icon of Australia’s outback, Road-trains. (Some up to 50 metres long).
It is the Driver’s own responsibility to check all insurance details and reconfirm any agreements prior to finalising hire contracts or commencing any journey to Undara Experience.
The access road into Undara is now fully sealed, thanks to the Etheridge Shire Council. PLEASE STILL DRIVE CAREFULLY and keep an eye out for kangaroos and cattle wandering onto the road.
Self Drive Itineraries
Undara Experience is 275 kilometres south west of Cairns. It is between 390 and 510 kilometres northwest by road from Townsville, depending which route you take.
A variety of scenic routes are available if you are travelling in your own vehicle, or a rental car:
1. Cairns to Undara via Port Douglas & Rex Range
2. Cairns to Undara via Kuranda
3. Cairns to Undara via Gillies Range
4. Cairns to Undara via Innisfail
5. Townsville to Undara via The Palmerston Highway
7. Townsville to Undara via Ingham and Mount Fox (INCLUDES APPROX 170km UNSEALED ROAD)
8. Townsville to Undara via Herveys Range Road
9. Townsville to Undara via Charters Towers
- Cairns to Undara: 4 hours
- Townsville to Undara: 4 to 5.5 hours
- Georgetown to Undara: 2 hours
For an Amazing Adventure try the following self drive trips:
Car and Camper Rental
It is the driver’s own responsibility to check all insurance details and reconfirm any agreements prior to finalising hire contracts or commencing any journey to Undara Experience with the hire company.
The following car and campervan rental companies have agreed to allow their conventional vehicles or have offered discounted rates on their 4WD hire vehicles.
- Adventure Car Rental, Apollo Motorhome Holidays, Aussie Drive /A1 Car Rentals, Avis Australia – Cairns & Airport, Avis Australia – Port Douglas, Backpacker Campervans, Billabong Car Rentals, Britz / Maui Campervans, Budget Rent a Car, Cairns Crown Rentals, Cairns Leisure Wheels, Cars and Campers, Cruising Car Rental, Europcar Gold City Cars, Hertz Rentals, KEA Campers, Meteor Car Rentals – Cairns, Meteor Car Rentals – Townsville, Mini Car Rentals, Network Car Rental – Port Douglas, Paradise Wheels, Port Douglas Car Rental, Sugarland Car Rentals, Thrifty, Townsville Car Rentals, Yahoo, Wicked Campers
Getting Here By Air
Fly with Reefwatch Air Tours over islands, cays and the Great Barrier Reef to the south east of Cairns. See fields of sugar cane and the magnificent rainforest clad mountains near the Tully Gorge and Koombaloomba Dam. Fly over the Atherton Tablelands and on into the outback and the Gulf Savannah, landing at Undara airstrip.
We have 1 day and 2 day packages available that include flights ex Cairns.
Alternatively if you are in the Townsville region fly to Undara with Townsville Aviation Centre, the flight takes little over an hour. If you would like to contact them to arrange a charter flight or a package you can contact them by phone at (07) 4728 7011 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private and Charter aircraft are welcome to use the Undara airstrip which is approximately 3.5 kilometres NE of the Lava Lodge. There are no landing charges but a small transfer fee may apply.
- Length: 1900 metres
- Direction: 11/29
- Position: S18.12 E 144.36
- Altitude: 2500 AMSL
Please advise ETA to arrange pickups with Undara Experience on +61 7 4097 1900.
Getting Here By Rail
The Savannahlander is one of the great rail experiences of the world. From Cairns, the historic ‘Silver Bullet’ travels from the coast up the scenic Kuranda Range including stops at Barron Falls and Stoney Creek. Travelling through World Heritage listed rainforests, it stops in Kuranda and continues on through the Gulf Savannah to Undara.
We have 2 day and 3 day Savannahlander packages available that include Undara.
Getting Here By Coach
We have a 2 day package available that includes coach transfers ex Cairns. Call our reservations team for the latest information on coach transfers to Undara Experience.
A coach transfer from Cairns to Undara Experience is now operating 3 days a week every Monday, Wednesday and Friday returning to Cairns every Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday.
Mobility Impaired Access Facilities
Please click here to find out about our mobility impaired access facilities.
Need more information than you can find here? We love answering questions about how to get to Undara, so don’t be shy about sending us a message using the form below.
Return to Undara home page.