Neither hotel nor resort, Undara Experience is a wilderness experience totally in contrast to today’s modern accommodation.
Guests revisit a bygone era with authentic turn-of-the-century railway carriages that have been beautifully restored and now rest under tall shady gum trees alongside an old teamsters trail.
At night, a campfire crackles nearby – after dinner is the perfect time to take part in fireside tales and sing-a-longs. Each morning, you can enjoy a true Aussie breakfast surrounded by the birds and the bush at the Ringers’ Camp.
Restored Railway Carriages
It was in the late ’80′s when Undara Experience founder, Gerry Collins, drove past some old railway carriages on a disused siding adjacent to the Mareeba North Queensland Sale Yards. The idea was born and the turn of the century Queensland railway carriages were lovingly restored to their former glory. They now lie beneath tall, shady gum trees, the very trees this unique style of accommodation was designed to preserve.
Charming, compact and comfortable, with covered decks to watch wildlife and enjoy the restful bush sounds. Winner of Australia’s Most Unique Accommodation, a night in these special rooms in this special atmosphere will be something to tell your friends about.
- Share bathroom facilities
- Some ensuites available
- 25 rooms (53 beds) – single through to family rooms
- Linen included
- Easy access room and bathroom
The carriage compartments evoke the glamour of great train journeys of long ago.
There are packages available that include breakfast and dinner in the cost of your carriage.
Swags Tent Village
Like camping without roughing it? Then ‘Swags’ is ideal. Newly refurbished large and comfortable permanent tents in a shady bush setting.
- Central amenities with hot and cold water
- Practical undercover camp kitchen with hot and cold water
- Free gas barbeque, fridge, electric hot plates, picnic tables and chairs
- 25 tents – twin, quad and family tents
- Electric light. Screens. Beds/mattresses. Cooler box
- Most tents have their own kitchenette
- Linen available
Outback Caravan Park and Camp Ground
Rejuvenate in the peace and quiet surrounded by natural bush and abundant wildlife.
- Central amenities block with hot and cold water
- 29 level powered van sites (22 drive-through, 7 reverse-in)
- 23 drive-up camp sites
- Individual campfire pits / barbeques
- Firewood available for purchase
Reserved camp ground close to all Lodge facilities.
Perfect for groups with their own tents, vans, motor homes etc.
- Serviced by separate amenities block with hot and cold water, access for mobility impaired
- Dedicated undercover camp kitchen with hot and cold water, free gas barbeque picnic tables and chairs.
- Includes power
- Room for 30+ two main tents
- Campfire. Firewood available for purchase
- Drive through access
Mobility Impaired Access
Please click here to read about our mobility impaired access facilities.
Dining at Undara is an experience.
Breakfast. Awaken your tastebuds at our famous bush breakfast in the Ringer’s Camp.
Lunch and Dinner. Relax with outdoor undercover eating and nostalgic railway carriage dining is the licensed Fettler’s Iron Pot Bistro.
Groups and Special Occasions. For something different ask us about our exclusive outdoor venues for groups and special occasions.